Say What?!? Instead of counting sheep, I can count how many emails I need to answer in the morning? Sure can…at least according to a recent Good Technology survey that indicates that we are working more – an average of 7 hours more per week - but it’s on our own schedule. More than 80% of working adults in the U.S. continue to work when they have left the office adding another 30 work hours per month. Most say it’s to stay organized, but others feel they must due to customer needs and the fact that workers find it hard to switch to off work mode when they get home. Half of us even take the mobile device to bed and answer emails under the covers. Amazingly, over half of those surveyed also noted that there was no argument from the significant other about the additional home-work. The mix of personal and work lives are blurring even more.
Our mobile, always-on lifestyle is appreciated by both organizations and workers alike. Organizations see increased productivity while workers like the freedom to get their work done wherever and whenever. Of course, data security is always paramount and John Herrema, Good’s SVP of Corporate Strategy said, “When it comes to supporting a ‘bring your own device’ environment, it’s important to take an approach that ensures data security without compromising the employee's privacy or personal experiences. By shifting their management focus from 'devices' to 'apps' and 'data', enterprises can allow employees to get work done on the go whenever they want, and still keep personal information private, separate and safe.”
The study also revealed:
- 68 percent of people check their work emails before 8 a.m.
- The average American first checks their phone around 7:09 a.m.
- 50 percent check their work email while still in bed
- The work day is growing – 40 percent still do work email after 10 p.m.
- 69 percent will not go to sleep without checking their work email
- 57 percent check work emails on family outings
- 38 percent routinely check work emails while at the dinner table
…and the Infographic:
- Good Technology Survey Reveals Americans are Working More, but on their Own Schedule
- 80 Percent Of Americans Spend An Extra Day A Week Working After Hours, New Survey Says
- Smartphones Add Hours to the Work Week
- 80% of Americans work an extra 30 hours a month on their own time
- Device-free Days Off: 3 Tips for Powering Down
- Work and personal life blend as people stay in the loop while on the go
- Will BYOL Cripple BYOD?
- What’s in Your Smartphone?
- Freedom vs. Control
- BYOD–The Hottest Trend or Just the Hottest Term
Technorati Tags: F5, smartphone, integration, byod, Pete Silva, security, business, education, technology, application delivery,ipad,mobile device, context-aware,android, iPhone, web, internet, security
|Connect with Peter:||Connect with F5:|